Our Adoption Story - Part One

Our Adoption Story - Part One



We’re adopting. 

It feels a little more real even as I type this. We are in the final stretch of our home study. There is no match yet, no sweet baby to call ours. We are basically at the starting line, but what God has been doing in our hearts has been happening for a while. 

I remember sitting at a table with friends many years ago and listening to them share their hopes of adoption in the future. As I sat quietly I could almost feel everyones eyes drift over to me. “I’ve never actually considered adoption,” I admitted. I’ve always thought it was wonderful but I honestly had never thought about it for our family. In the year that followed I watched sweet new friends of ours walk through adopting their first son. From the moment we heard they were adopting, Luis and I knew God was giving us a front row seat to watch their journey unfold. When their sweet son was born I had the honor of going to Georgia to take his newborn pictures. It was there that I felt the Lord stirring something in me. I wanted to chalk it up to baby fever, but it felt different. I snapped this picture as we drove away from the house we stayed in, knowing it would be a great reminder of that weekend and what the Lord was doing in me.  




I posted it on Instagram on August 20, 2013 with this caption: "The past 48 hours have been some of the most exhausting and yet spiritually refreshing days I've had in a while. I was privileged to watch Judd & Katy hold their long awaited son, Jett. Every second of this trip was a picture of God's goodness and a beautiful reminder that His plans are always perfect. I'm so grateful to have been a small part of a big story and incredibly thankful that the Lord has used it to speak sweetly to my own heart."


That night when I got home I nervously said to Luis, “I have something I want to talk about...” I tried to put into words how great my few days away had been and then I felt like I was dropping a bomb - “and I think we should consider adopting.” 

And in a way that only the Lord could orchestrate, Luis was completely ready for me to say that. He had been doing the same thing in Luis’ heart even though he had never spoken a word of that to me. 

And so we said “YES!”, tucked that decision into a folder and filed it under “future plans.”

No comments